Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The YouTube Chronicles



Last night as I was browsing through You Tube after a long day (just to see what's new and exciting, and to view some old favorites like man getting hit by ice cream truck), I came across a subscription channel and was immediately hooked.

This channel is a vlog (video blog) of a student from Arizona State University which chronicles his daily life at school.  Most broadcasts are a minute and a half, but some are longer.  The idea seemed really cool and I began watching.



The point of the vlog is to show what goes on with this kid's (Ethan M. Roth) friends, dorm, and school life.  I thought that it was fascinating, even though I don't know any of the people involved.  However, I soon felt like I knew them after watching some of the videos. 

They let me into their world, and it got me thinking: I need a hobby, and maybe this could be it.  So tonight I am going to attempt to upload a video of myself to youtube.  I haven't quite decided the format, or what to call my youtube channel, but many possibilities are running through my mind.

But it will definitely be a brief summary of the day, and perhaps a word of the day.  I don't know but I need something for my schtick.  My roommate Dave Robles and I used to have a word of the day in college on our bulletin board outside the dorm room.  We picked interesting (to us) words and wrote definitions of them.  People would come by every day to look for the word, and sometimes got upset if we were too busy and forgot. 

We were usually pretty unique in our selections and came up with some good sentences relating to Holy Cross and the people we knew.  Sometimes we got lazy with words, such as with antidisestablishmentarianism.  I think our sentence was "Don't display such antidisestablishmentarianism." or something lame like that.

Other times, we were better, such as with tyro (a novice or newcomer): Danielle, the new Community Development Coordinator of Hanselman hall, is the tyro of our group because she has not been here long.  Now, if you didn't know what tyro meant before, now you do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elPI1KBG-tY

Ethan's vlog starts out with him mentioning which year (freshman or sophomore) and on which day his vlog takes place.  He usually then goes on to give a description of his day or whatever the topic of discussion is at hand, sometimes he has special guest stars, and he usually closes it by saying "Subscribe" (referring to his youtube channel).

So anyway, check out the ASU vlog on youtube and look for my video late tonight.  First though let's make sure I know how to videotape myself and put it up on youtube.  I'll try to have a special guest star tonight, although the only possibilities for that are Taco, Mickey, or Battlecat.  Here goes nothing.
Not Taco, but a very similar looking cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment