Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dan for Mayor



I was thinking of writing an entry about a couple of different things, but the ideas made me extremely angry.  I won't go into what I was thinking of writing about that made me so upset my breathing became shallow, and my fists and teeth clenched. 

I guess I'll have to work out when I get home or find some way to get rid of that pent up anger I have towards certain people at the moment.  So, I decided to write about the following.

Since I finished "Corner Gas" a few weeks ago (all 108 episodes!), I was lacking something good to watch on my iPad before I went to bed.  With "Corner Gas," I probably watched two or three episodes per week before I went to bed.  It took me a while to get through, and after I finished the episodes time just seemed to vanish and I had none.



So the other night, I had some rare extra time before bed so I took full advantage and began to watch another TV show.  This one is called "Dan for Mayor."

While the show is not as funny as "Corner Gas," it still is an interesting story revolving around the character of Dan Phillips (Fred Ewanuick).  Upon hearing news from his former flame, Clare (Mary Ashton), that she is engaged, Dan feels the spastic need to top her news.  He blurts out that he is running for mayor of the town of Wessex, where they live.

When asked by his best friend Jeff (Paul Bates) later why he made such an avowal, Dan replied that he wanted Clare to see him as serious rather than a slacker 30-something working as a bartender at Fern's. 

While everyone around Dan thinks his campaign is a joke, he tries to prove them wrong.  At the end of the pilot episode, he is finally able to scratch together the candidate's fee to get his name on the ballot.

As the pilot closes, the current mayor gloats to his aide upon walking out of city hall after Dan pays the candidate's fee.  As he steps down from the sidewalk to cross the street, thinking he's won another easy mayor's race, BOOM! 

Long story short, Dan is the lone candidate for mayor.  What'll he do?  Although this show is certainly not along the level of "Friends" or even "Scrubs" in terms of plots or laughs, the story is simple, the people are quirky, and it's fun to watch Dan's journey.  The writing is decent enough that you get a few chuckles in each episode.

If you're interested in watching this show, you can find, just like Corner Gas, all episodes of Dan for Mayor on YouTube.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment