Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Novel Ending?




I've spoken about the tough economy before, and the impact it's had upon all of us as not only Americans but also world citizens.  Even the chief of the IMF just said that unless fiscal policies in countries change drastically, this entire decade could be "lost" economically.

Well, I certainly don't want that to happen and I know neither do any of you, so I thought for fun I would begin doing something I love so much and wanted to be when I grew up: a writer.  It's all about making it big.

I do write on this blog and I enjoy it, but it's not the same as actually sitting down to write a short story or novella, as I would like to do.  That being said, since I'm so tired of these poor economic conditions, being overworked and underpaid, I am going to do it.  A boy can dream, right?

I want my piece of the pie and I hope that this story is good enough to spark some interest.  I'd love to see it be turned into a movie as well, but let's take this slowly.  Success doesn't happen overnight (unless you're Diablo Cody and happen upon lightning in a bottle after working as a glorified stripper).

I'm writing this because I enjoy it and it's everyone's fantasy to have all the money in the world so that neither we nor our families have to worry about anything again. 

After having a phone conversation with my mom the other day and hearing how stressed out she is, knowing my sister is stressed out between her work and her impending (even though it's a year off, that time will be here before you know it) wedding, I thought I'd go back to the writing well. 

It's part whimsy, part seriousness, but wouldn't it be great to sell a novel and make some bank to help your family and yourself?  It could be just like the Jeffersons.  They wanted a piece of the pie and ended up on the East Side.  However, I had to ask myself: what kind of story would I write? 

To write a good story, you need to keep people interested.  You also need to have more dialogue than description, otherwise the story can slow down.  My 10th grade English teacher said it best when discussing The Scarlet Letter:  "Admit it.  When you were reading that, you cringed when you saw long, descriptive paragraphs.  When you saw the dialogue, though, you were glad because you knew it would go by more quickly."

She was absolutely right, although I guess the same could be said about any book.  Unless you like lengthy descriptions of things.  Let's see...lots of dialogue, suspense, action, and perhaps other vices?  I have just the story.  Although the novella (if it gets that long, but I guess I won't know until I start writing it) itself will be based on a semifictionalized series of events that befell me one week in New York City.

This is not the New York City you are thinking of. This is the New York City you warn your children about. You tell them to be careful.  You tell them many things.  But do they listen?


Don’t talk to strangers. Don’t go out late at night by yourself. If you’re in a strange city, don’t go unaccompanied. Most importantly, never go with strangers.  No matter how well-intended they might seem.
We will begin the tale in Massachusetts; it will shift to Washington Heights. And later to the underbelly of sin and vice. The story may seem pretty normal initially. But appearances can be deceiving. We all have our dirty laundry.

Find out what happens when a white guy out of his element descends upon the dark, sinister streets of northern Manhattan and the Bronx after hours. When the cops have gone. When no one cares. And when the sharks are out.

I haven't forgotten about HuskyTaco, though, and will still be posting entries here.  But the entries here are going to be more about movies, TV, and other things I've written about before. 

But seriously if you're interested in what I am writing, it's on another blog channel.  If you want the URL, let me know.  Otherwise you'll have to wait until publishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment